Saturday, December 20, 2014

21-year old UBC student missing in Los Angeles, police fear foul play

UBC student Elisa Lam has been reported missing in Los Angeles. Photo courtesy Facebook

Los Angeles police are searching for 21-year-old Elisa Lam, a UBC Vancouver student whose disappearance is suspicious and may suggest foul play, police say.

Lam was last seen in Los Angeles’ Cecil Hotel on Jan. 31. Lam had been travelling alone, arriving first in San Diego on Jan. 23, then in L.A. on Jan. 26. Police believe her final destination is Santa Cruz.

“She was in contact with her family up to her disappearance,” said Robert French, spokesperson for the LAPD.

20130206_012656_MP- Elisa Lam_200
Photo released by the LAPD

“That part of downtown Los Angeles is not good,” French added. “There is crime, there is squalor there, among many things.”

Police say it is known that she uses public transportation, such as Amtrak, busses and trains.

A Facebook profile that appears to be Lam’s says she attended University Hill Secondary School on UBC campus before university. A LinkedIn profile that appears to belong to Lam says she is expected to graduate in 2016, and a profile on the research-sharing website academia.edu that looks like Lam’s says she is interested in psychology research.

—This is a breaking story, and will be updated as more information becomes available.