Wednesday, April 16, 2014

CUPE 116 and UBC reach tentative agreement; campus strikes to stop immediately

Photo Matt Meuse/The Ubyssey

CUPE 116 and UBC have reached a tentative agreement, after weeks of strikes and three days of mediation.

All CUPE 116 workers, including garbage collectors, campus mail workers and custodial staff, return to work on Oct. 22.

The parties had mediation sessions scheduled on Friday and Saturday, and they continued talks today. UBC and CUPE 116 reached a tentative agreement late Sunday night.

The agreement still needs to be ratified in a vote by union members. CUPE 116 President Colleen Garbe said the union would likely vote on the agreement on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

The details of the deal haven’t been disclosed, but Garbe said she thinks the union should take the deal.

“We never get what we’re hoping for, but we have a very good settlement that’s going to be improvement for all of our members, really broad-based,” said Garbe.

The bargaining sessions, mediated by Vince Ready, lasted 34 hours.

“There was goodwill on both sides and a lot of hard work went into this to hammer out an agreement. So we’re thrilled, of course, we’re waiting, we’re hoping for ratification by the membership,” said director of UBC Public Affairs Lucie McNeill.

Garbe said that despite setbacks in negotiations, she is satisfied with the outcome.

“It’s been nutty, but I think we’re happy,” said Garbe.

McNeill said that because of the agreement, UBC will no longer be affected by CUPE 116’s job action.

“Things go back to normal on campus. Picket lines are down immediately. Anybody who was on strike is basically going back to work, and the overtime ban is lifted.… So that’s good news for the students, faculty and staff of the university.”

—With files from Laura Rodgers