Thursday, October 23, 2014

Foreskin advocate speaks at UBC’s Buchanan building

Glen Callender of CAN-FAP spoke at UBC on Friday. Photo Carter Brundage/The Ubyssey

It’s a rare thing to meet an activist who manages to remain persuasive and credible when naked from the waist down.

Judging by the audience’s reaction to children’s rights activist Glen Callender’s presentation at UBC on Friday, he pulled it off.

The talk, hosted by UBC Freethinkers in the Buchanan building, was part of a larger effort founded by Callender, the Canadian Foreskin Awareness Project, or CAN-FAP. Its purpose is to advocate for the right of male, female and intersex children to grow up with intact genitals.

Along with videos of real circumcisions on infant boys, the talk — described on the event’s Facebook page as an “X-rated sex-ed-comedy-horror show” — included footage of the presenter masturbating and video from a live show where he counted how many grapes he could fit in his foreskin — 11.

“That’s one of the reasons I get in the news and why things happen,” said Callender. “It’s because I’m difficult to ignore, and I do things that are controversial. And that’s my niche — and I’m not claiming to be, you know, the right guy for everybody, maybe not even most people.”

The show serves as a lighter entry point into what for many is a difficult and deeply personal issue.

CAN-FAP’s primary objective is the legal protection of a child’s right to choose whether or not to be circumcised. Callender said that female circumcision is particularly harmful because one can’t cut off as much of a boy’s genitals without restricting his ability to reproduce later in life.

“We use the term ‘female genital mutilation’ to talk about what people do to girls,” Callender said. “Circumcision is what we do to our children with their best interests in mind. Mutilation is what other people do to their children with bad intentions.” Callender thinks this is a double standard — a claim not without its critics.

In recent years, circumcision has been performed as a preventive health measure. For example, research conducted in South Africa published in 2005 and trials in Uganda and Kenya published in 2007 suggested that circumcision could reduce rates of female-to-male HIV transmission from heterosexual sex by approximately 60 per cent. This led to the World Health Organization’s 2007 endorsement of circumcision as a legitimate public health measure in parts of Africa. Callender, however, argued that the African studies were biased and methodologically flawed.

He also said that circumcision, when conducted on a child, permanently changes a man’s physiological capacity for sensation without his consent.

“There is a 2000-year body of Jewish writing and a 200-year body of medical writing that openly acknowledges that a primary purpose of infant circumcision is to permanently damage the penis so the boy, and the man he becomes, will never be able to fully enjoy sex,” said Callender.

Callender’s next presentation will be at the Taboo Naughty but Nice Sex Show in Vancouver.

Correction: a previous version of this article contained several misinterpretations of Callender’s arguments. The article has been updated to amend that. The Ubyssey regrets the error.

• Zeke Roberts

Circumcision without consent is wrong, no matter how traditional.

If you disagree, you are actively supporting non-consensual sexual mutilation. And that’s horrible.

• UBC Student

Good for him. Sometimes surgery is required for medical reasons; but we shouldn’t be performing “preventative” surgery unless there is evidence that the specific part of the body will cause a problem on that specific person (i.e. a wisdom tooth isn’t going to fit, etc.).

• Marty

Ummm…I’m circumcised, and sex feels f***ing awesome.

• coip

Reports from adults who were circumcised after becoming sexually active indicate that if sex with a foreskin is a 10, sex without one is a 3. So, as great as sex may feel for you even though you’re circumcised, qualitative evidence suggests it could’ve felt a lot better (imagine that). Regardless, it should be each person’s decision to get cut or not, and that’s the point: infant circumcision is a human rights violation.

• http://www.droitaucorps.com/ Droit au Corps

Congratulations Glen Callender !

• Ben Winkie

Glen Callender is not a “children’s rights activist” – he has been banned from Gay Pride parades all over Canada. He exposes his genitals to children – one sick man!

• Dreamer

Spoke the guy who takes selfies of his dick with gomco clamps. Ben Winkie, known fetishist… ahem… circumsexual, isn’t it Ben?

• Dreamer

He has not been “banned from… all over Canada”. He was banned from marching in Vermont in 2013 only. And even then, the organizers had ok’ed him in 2012 and then flip flopped on him.