Candidate Profile: Khaled Nasra, Senate

Khaled Nasra is a second-year Bachelor of International Economics student. With the experience of coming from a small program combined with his involvement in a variety of clubs and societies on campus, Nasra is confident in his ability to be a good advocate who will represent all students. If elected, Nasra will focus on the integration of student-run tutoring services and the implementation of learning enhancement records.

Describe your platform and what sets it apart from your opposition in a few sentences.

The main part of my platform, like every other senate candidate, is meant to be continuing the current plan for mental health and well-being, but I also really want to focus on the concept of advanced education. We really want to introduce the idea of flexible education because right now there’s the [idea of] having your transcript say what extracurricular you’re doing ... and that program is planned for by the previous year’s Senate. 

We also have issues with diversity and education. There’s a lot of talks on whether we should have an equity course, or something like that. I don’t necessarily think so, just because of the concept that we have GRSJ (Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice) courses right now. So really, I want to focus on diversity, but at the same time not have any cutoffs on the current identity of UBC campus.

How have you been involved with the AMS before, and how will this help you?

I don’t necessarily have any experience with the AMS, and I don’t think that should be a huge problem with Senate, just because Senate is a body that is part of UBC and is going to be serving UBC students. I do have a lot of experience with those.

What are the challenges facing this position in the upcoming year?

I think a huge part of it is being able to recognize which things are more important. So, oftentimes you have to make the distinction on really important matters that will affect students for maybe 10 years down their way. And that’s a huge responsibility to undertake, but at the same time, being able to connect with a lot of students, you can get more [ideas].

Who is the most important body or person you need to collaborate with in this position, and how will you foster a relationship with them?

I think what happened last year with the introduction of AMS presidents who are also senators was a good idea. AMS and Senate both work for the best benefit of the student. Not necessarily in the same area, AMS focuses more on the community idea of campus, and senate focuses more on Academics. I think having both at the same time would be a good idea and I do want to work with whoever becomes the next AMS president to move forward with students.

What three committees would you like to sit on as a senator, and why?

I really want to sit on the education committee, the ad hoc committee for mental health, and the third one I wouldn’t really be sure as of now, because there are a lot of do interest me. The two main ones, I want to focus on education and I want to focus on the current ad-hoc for mental health because of what they signify.

Interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.