Sunday, December 21, 2014

Campus liquor store moving to Wesbrook Village this summer

Andrew Bates/The Ubyssey

The B.C. Liquor Store in the UBC Village is set to close, with a new location to open in Wesbrook Village across from Save-On-Foods.

According to Michelle Paquet, development manager with UBC Properties Trust, the new location will be 4,800 square feet, and will have a significantly larger inventory than the current Village location. The B.C. Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) has confirmed that the hours at the new location will remain the same as those at the current one: 10 a.m.–7 p.m. from Monday to Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.–9 p.m. on Friday and closed on Sunday.

“It is expected the Wesbrook Village store will be opened late summer,” wrote Vince Cournoyer of the LDB in an email. Paquet also estimated that the store could be open in August.

Although Paquet stated that Properties Trust had initially hoped the store would move to Wesbrook Village, Cournoyer wrote that the UBC Village location did not meet the LDB’s sales expectations.

“The Wesbrook Village location is in close proximity to a major grocery store, and additional retail and commercial businesses make this an ideal location for a B.C. Liquor Store,” wrote Cournoyer. He also wrote that the UBC Village store would close as soon as the new store is open.