Patterson's Wager winning at Whistler Film Fest

Many UBC students wonder what they will do 20 years after graduation. 

For O. Corbin Saleken and Alex Zahara, making their dream feature was what they got to do. In July 2013, Saleken, Zahara and several of Vancouver’s top film talents began production on Saleken’s independent feature, Patterson’s Wager. The film premiered in February 2015 at the Winnipeg Real to Reel Film Festival winning Best Independent Feature and going on to win awards and screen at several film festivals. This December, the film will make its way back home to BC and screen at the Whistler Film Festival. 

Patterson’s Wager is about Charles, an average insurance adjuster with a sudden ability to see two minutes into the future. The film created a relatable, intelligent and artistically-satisfying project that attracted much of the cast and crew. 

“I wanted to see this film done,” said Saleken on his motivation to self-fund Patterson’s Wager.

The film was shot on a tight 12 day schedule in Vancouver, Mission, Langley and Squamish. 

“Some days we were doing 8, 9 [or] 12 pages,” Saleken said. “But we weren’t doing crazy hours.” 

Although the crew consisted of volunteers and the cast was paid $100 a day, both Saleken and Zahara saw each person’s effort and commitment to the film. With discounts for equipment and locations provided by the generosity of the Vancouver film community, the project came in on schedule and under budget.

“Because [Saleken] had everything so planned out, when the hiccups came up, we dealt with it," said Zahara, co-producer and actor on the film. "We had a strong leader ... he really attracted a great group.”

Independent films can often have a different dynamic from studio productions, especially Movies of the Week which can have less to do with artistic fulfillment and collaboration. Fred Ewanuick (Corner Gas, Dan for Mayor), who plays Charles said via email, “[Independents are] more personal on every level. I feel more part of a team than just someone hired to play a role.”

“One of the most important elements for me is the people I get to work with," said Chelah Horsdal (Hell on Wheels, Arrow) who plays Charles’ girlfriend. "That’s what makes an experience shine as was the case on Patterson’s Wager.”

However, once production is finished distribution, it can be difficult for indie films. 

“You’re kind of on a high after making the film. You put it out there and you have to wait to see what happens,” said Saleken. 

Often filmmakers will submit to as many film festivals as they can to screen their film paying on average $45-$50 to submit to each festival with no guarantee of the festival showing the film. Patterson’s Wager has had luck in several festivals and has also acquired a distribution deal with IndieCan Entertainment. Saleken hopes that the distribution deal will help the film reach more people after its planned release in spring of 2016. 

The two former students returned to the Norm Theatre to promote their film. 

“I met Alex at UBC in the Film Society," said Saleken. "The UBC [film production] program was a big deal for me. Getting into that program, it gave me the skills to do it.”