Unbuckled: not just an outdoor barbecue

Stanley Park has been recognized as one of the best parks in the world because of its scenic view and luscious trees. This fall on September 12, Stanley Park will be transformed into “Unbuckled” -- a cowboy-themed outdoor barbeque.

One of the creators behind Unbuckled, Mike Schwarz, CEO and founder of myZone Media, said this event will be like no other.

“You’re interacting with the event on a much different level. You will show up in full costume ... in your jean shorts and plaid and cowboy hats and cowboy boots," said Schwarz. "You’re part of the event. You’re not a spectator, you are the event.”

"Experiential events have been blowing up around the world in the last few years," he continued. "We always try to do something that hasn’t been done before that’s very different so people talk about it."

This was what led Schwarz to the country theme of Unbuckled. Unlike other events, attendees are not confined to a beer garden or alcohol zone. All 2,000 attendees are free to roam around Stanley Park due of the newly relaxed liquor licenses in Vancouver.

Pilsner will be served and attendees can expect local food vendors featuring classic dishes such as open grilled meats and corn on the cob. A barbecue cook-off will take place run by farmers from around B.C, and there will be team events such as a mechanical bull, a three-legged race and a tug-of-war.

“It will [be an] immersive event with hidden surprises,” said Schwarz. Music will be everywhere, a roaming string band will be walking around and the maid stage will feature country and bluegrass musicians such as the Matinee and Robyn & Ryleigh.

Partial profits from Unbuckled will be going to Music Heals, a charity that believes in the use of music as therapy to support and promote healthy living.

Tickets for Unbuckled are on sale now.