Wednesday, April 16, 2014

UBC’s Got Talent | Preview

UBC students, alumni, faculty, staff and residents are about to show you what they’ve got. This Friday, the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts will light up with the best talent that the UBC community has to offer.

UBC’s Got Talent is a charity event which hopes to unite the UBC community through music and performing arts, while also raising money for UBC’s United Way Campaign. Out of 124 video submissions, judges selected 16 finalists to perform tomorrow night.

AMS President and event organizer Bijan Ahmadian said he was inspired to put together the talent show after attending a similar event put on by the Faculty of Medicine.

“I thought to myself, if one faculty can throw an event like this and fill up the Chan Centre, I bet we can do an amazing event if we open it up to the entire campus,” he said. “I am hoping that this will become a tradition that will happen year after year.”

Stella Tung, third year international relations student and marketing director for UBC’s Got Talent, is also confident about Friday night. “I think that our artistic directors and judges put together a really good program that I think many members of the audience will be able to relate to,” she said.
Ahmadian said that the AMS has spent about $1000 on UBC’s Got Talent so far. UBC Human Resources has contributed $5000 towards the event and the University Neighbourhoods Association has donated $10,000. “By this they are really showing their commitment to community building on campus,” Ahmadian said of the UNA committment.

Jan Fialkowski, executive director of the UNA, was charmed when Ahmadian came to the UNA for financial help with UBC’s Got Talent. “He approached us and said, ‘here’s an opportunity for the UNA to showcase itself amongst the students in an event that’s going to raise money for a really good cause,’” she said. The majority of the $10,000 donation will pay for the cost of the Chan Centre, allowing all proceeds from UBC’s Got Talent to go to United Way.  “The board was really pleased to be given this opportunity,” said Fialkowski.

Faisal Al-Alamy, third year sociology student and finalist for UBC’s Got Talent, thinks that the event will do just what it is supposed to in bringing the UBC community together. He stated, “It makes you feel like you belong to a group of people who are not only students.” Fellow competitor and third year environmental science student Erin Crocket echoed these sentiments, stating, “It’s great to see all the different talents UBC has.”

Al-alamy, a native of Saudi Arabia, considers this event to be special on a personal level. “It’s hard to do music over there,” he said. “This is a great opportunity to show what I can do freely.”

Sixteen finalists will be putting on a variety of acts involving magic, singing, dancing and even solving a Rubik’s cube with one hand. Most of these group or solo acts are made up of students, with one resident act, two staff acts and one act involving students and alumni.

Tickets are for sale by donation, and can be purchased online from Ticket Master, or in person at the Chan Centre Ticket Office. U

chris borchert photo/the ubyssey