Friday, October 31, 2014

Student cooking: quick and easy vegan tahini hummus

Photo Becca Williams / The Ubyssey

Photo Becca Williams / The Ubyssey

Vegan or not, hummus can be a university student’s best friend — and in many cases, it is.

Traditionally made from a base of chickpeas and blended together with other flavor-boosting ingredients, hummus remains a protein-packed, garlic-lovers’ staple that can be combined with almost anything. Spread it on your pita chips, raw veggies, sandwiches and wraps, throw it in a rice bowl, on your pasta, in a salad, or just spread it on your face and use it as a moisturizer.

Here’s a wholesome, budget-friendly recipe that, with its minimal ingredient list and minimal preparation time, takes 10 minutes tops to make, dishes included. So forget about the store-bought hummus residing on the shelf of aisle three at Save On, calling your name and eating away at your wallet — instead, go home and make some fresh, cheap, easy and delicious hummus of your own.

Hurry Up Hummus (vegan and gluten-free)

Ingredients

2 15-ounce cans cooked chickpeas (organic)
Chickpea water from one can
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup tahini
Juice of 2 lemons (with seeds)
3 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Equipment

Blender
Measuring cups (1/4 cup)
Measuring spoons (tsp)

Instructions

1. In no particular order, throw the ingredients together into a blender. Blend for three minutes at medium strength, or until smooth.
2. Season with salt and pepper until the desired taste is reached.
3. Serve with vegetables or bread. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.

Notes: makes 8 servings. Will keep one week refrigerated. For a different flavour, try adding a 1/4 cup of fresh parsley in place of cumin.

• Guest

MMMM, this looks so easy! I always shy away from making hummus because it’s so painstaking…but this looks easy! Thanks Becca! :)

• Anonymous

why is it called ‘tahini’ hummus?… hummus usually has tahini in it anyway