Place Vanier searches for identity with their production of Rent

Bisexuals, trisexuals, homo sapiens, carcinogens, hallucinogens, men, Pee Wee Herman -- this is what you can expect from the Place Vanier production of the famed musical Rent.

“Music connects to us emotionally in a way words never can and triggers different memories and thoughts. [It] allows us to make connections where we previously didn’t see them, therefore creating a new view on life,” said Ivan Yastrebov, producer of the Place Vanier production of Rent.

A rock musical that follows a group of young artists through a year of their life in East Village New York in the mid-90’s, Rent shows the audience the beauty of life through the honesty of death. We see them deal with love, loss, AIDS and life itself.

The original playwright, Johnathan Larson, wrote Rent with the intention to bring musical theatre to the MTV generations.

Although it is no longer the mid-90's, this performance of the musical intends to incapsulate the timelessness that the musical embodies.

The characters search for identity, belonging and love as they share the toll AIDS takes on one’s life. Stephen Duncan, who plays Mark and is also the vocal coach, noted that music guides them through the people they meet, places they go and all the highs and lows in between -- from the little celebrations to overdoses.

“I think [the music] brings about emotions in everyone in a way that everyone can understand no matter what story people have; music can connect all people’s stories together,” said Duncan.

Yastrebov said the audience can look forward to the performance for “Finale B.” The song is a message about living in the moment, a perspective that students can identify with.

“Don’t take anything for granted because you don’t know what’s going to come … and there’s much more than that. Make sure you come to the musical to learn it,” said Yastrebov.

The musical committee will also hold a silent auction during intermission with all funds raised being donated to the Crisis Centre.

Rent will take place at 7:30 p.m. on March 5-7 in the Place Vanier Residence Ballroom. Tickets are $8 and are available for purchase within the Place Vanier Commons Block.

Correction: A previous version of the article said that Ivan Yastrebov was the director of the production, when in fact he is the producer. Also it listed the final song of the production as "No Day But Today" when in fact it is "Finale B" The Ubyssey regrets this error.