Thursday, April 24, 2014

Discorder on the ropes

Discorder has fallen on tough times. The monthly music magazine from campus radio station CiTR is struggling due to declining ad sales from local music purveyors. Damn this economy! If Discorder doesn’t find some cash soon, we’ll be seeing fewer magazines on the stands.
Like any self-respecting independent publication, Discorder has turned to their friends for help. And so The Fundraiser was born: an all out smorgasbord of local musicians featuring Fanshaw, Apollo Ghosts, Boogie Monster and Japandroids in DJ mode, all deployed strategically at the Biltmore on March 5 to save the publication.
The Ubyssey spoke with Discorder Editor Jordie Yow about the show and the future of the magazine.

Ubyssey: How has the Vancouver music scene come to your aid?

Yow: One of the biggest things is that all these bands are willing to play for free—which is a really big deal for us. We’re really pleased that all these are bands that we love, we’ve written about these bands in the past. We’re all big fans of them, and they’ve been willing to come out and play for free to keep the magazine in print. They recognize that Discorder is providing a valuable service for the community: we’re the only magazine in town that focuses entirely on local music. That’s our mandate.

U: How have other parts of the arts community helped out Discorder?

Y: There’s some really great stuff that’s been donated by local businesses. The Fringe Festival has donated a pass to everything at the festival. A lot of local artists who do work in Discorder who are just getting their art careers started will have their work available at our silent auction.

U: One of the bigger bands at this show are Japandroids, but they’re going to be DJing instead of playing their songs. What’s a Japandroids DJ set like?

y: People will have to come to find out. We asked them to play and they said “Let’s do something different.” They’ll just be coming off tour and they want a break before they go on tour again. Both the guys are really big music fans, and they’ll be playing later in the night so they’ll want to see people moving. It’ll be a dance party, and a good chance for people to hear the musical tastes Japandroids have when they want to party.

U: Why does the world need Discorder?

Y: I think it’s crucial in developing the Vancouver music scene. Discorder provides a service: we find bands in Vancouver. If we’re not finding them, there are no other magazines that have a mandate that go out and look for them. If Vancouver’s music scene is to continue to be as good as it is now, it’s important that someone is out there telling people what’s happening.