Friday, October 31, 2014

Student cooking: vegan chocolate chickpea cookies

Photo Becca Williams / The Ubyssey

Photo Becca Williams / The Ubyssey

That’s right, chocolate chickpea cookies: the most unconventional yet delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe around.

Made from a base of chickpeas and almond butter, these little protein-packed treats serve a much bigger purpose than sweet-tooth satisfaction. Unlike ordinary, run-of-the-mill chocolate chip cookies, these bad boys can provide fuel for the day, keep you focused during long lectures and even power you through your late-night midterm study cramming, all while satisfying your cravings.

To keep things as quick and easy as possible, this recipe requires only a blender and measuring cups or spoons for preparation. Cost-wise, it’s student-friendly, considering the amount of time it takes to make, its deliciousness and its nutritional content.

Who says chocolate and chickpeas don’t mix? After trying these little bites of paradise, no one will.

Vegan and gluten-free Chocolate Chickpea Cookies

Ingredients (makes 15-20 cookies)

1 ¼ cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, drain and rinse)
½ cup natural almond butter
¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
¼ cup mini vegan chocolate chips (I recommend Enjoy Life)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp sea salt (if using unsalted almond butter)

Equipment

Measuring cups (¼)
Measuring spoons (tsp and tbsp)
Blender/ Food Processor
Cookie Sheet
Parchment Paper
Convection Oven

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Throw everything but the chocolate chips into a food processor or blender (in no particular order).
3. Blend/pulse the ingredients on medium-high until smooth.
4. Lightly stir/pulse in the chocolate chips.
5. Once oven has reached 350 F, begin forming dough balls. To do so, consecutively spoon out two tbsp of dough three centimetres apart onto parchment paper (the cookies will not expand or rise).
6. Place the cookies in the oven on the top rack.
7. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the dough balls become crackly and golden on top (the cookies should be very soft).
8. Remove the cookies from oven and let them cool for 10 minutes (of complete torment) before digging in.

Notes: To store, place the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to one week. Freeze the cookie dough and thaw it to make a batch in the future. The dough can also be frozen and eaten as is.