Sunday, August 31, 2014

Psych student with acting past makes it back to the stage

Courtesy of Jason Wills

For Rami Kahlon, who just finished her first year at UBC, acting has always been a passion. “I love performing,” she says. “I love TV and film and the feeling that was evoked in me. That’s what I wanted to do with other people, that’s why I got into acting.”

Kahlon will be starring in SubUrbia, a play written by Eric Bogosian and presented by the Ninja Pirates Theatre Society. Set in the early 90s, SubUrbia focuses on a group of Caucasian kids who hang out in front of a 7-11 owned by a Pakistani brother-sister duo. The play deals with issues such as racial tension and identity ambiguity as the characters grapple with their sense of self and their future.

“It’s what everyone around the age of 20, 21 is going through at that period. I think everyone that goes to see it will see a part of themselves in the characters,” says Kahlon. “It shows the interactions between a bunch of different people and their ideas and mentalities and how they conflict with each other.”

Kahlon plays the sister of the convenience store owner. “She’s really trapped because she doesn’t want to be here in the first place. You get to see the interactions that she has with the people and how she feels in that relationship.”

Before stepping out into the Vancouver theatre scene, Kahlon took a six-month program at the Vancouver Acting School, as well as the Introduction to Theatre and Creating Theatre courses at UBC.

While she plans to major in psychology and minor in history, the actress says that her academic pursuits and artistic passion have more in common than at first glance. She credits both with helping with her craft. “Acting is about getting into the mentality of other people, which psychology does, and history applies what I learned from psychology.”

Catch Kahlon in SubUrbia at Blake Snyder Theatre at 112 E. 3rd Avenue from July 3-8 and 10-14. Tickets are $20 at the door or available online at www.brownpapertickets.com.