Great outdoor study spots for summer students

Summer school at UBC isn't all bad. Yes, you have to be indoors when it's absolutely gorgeous outside. However, you also get to study in the most aesthetically pleasing parts of campus that are finally absent of rain. Outdoor study spaces on campus are definitely the best way to work on your tan and maybe some WebWork at the same time — it's multitasking to a new level.

The Knoll

Get an iced drink from Uppercase or that nameless new bubble tea shop in the Nest and enjoy it out in the sun. Pick a nice spot on the grass or on one of the steps. Sometime grass real estate can be competitive though, so be warned.

['']
['']

Rooftop of the Nest

The rooftop is a great place to be when the sun is out, especially because there are tables and chairs there to write notes on. There’s also the occasional crow-friend who will give you some company and Roots on the Roof, a community garden run by the AMS. 

['']
['']

Fairview Square

The Earth Sciences Building is one of my favourite places to bum about while waiting for classes. I will never give up my secret study spot — not until I graduate that is — but you can have this other one. Fairview Square is right outside the building and you have the option of the outdoor seating space or the grass to study on. 

['']
['']

Main Mall Greenway

This isn’t part of the UBC planning map, but it’s right beside Bean Around The World / The Old Barn Community Centre. Not too many people walk by here and there aren’t many benches, but it’s perfectly peaceful to chill in the day or walk through at night. 

['']
['']

Mushroom Furniture

The mushroom furniture is an art installation for UBC students to sit on and drink our coffee. These chairs were made from mushroom roots and sawdust, and were moulded to create a high performance and sustainable material. These chairs are located outside the bookstore.

['']
['']